They are many types of curl patterns, ranging from type 1 to type 4c hair, but we shall mainly discuss type 4c hair. We are to explore different curl patterns, hair density, texture, and porosity.
Firstly, let’s talk about the hair type system.
What’s a Hair Type System and Who Invented The Hair Type System
Andre Walker is best known to have worked alongside Oprah Winfrey and Halle Berry.
In the 90s, he came up with his own Hair Type System. This Hair Type System is also known as the Hair Chart Classification System.
A unique chart that will help you identify your hair type and curly pattern.
Andre Walker Hair Type System
This System Includes Images of each hair type.
It is fundamental for you to know your hair type. This exercise will help you choose the right products and tools to use on your hair.
How To Determine Your Hair Type?
- The first thing you need to do in order to identify your hair type is to wash your hair.
- Wash, and comb your hair gently and let it dry naturally.
- Bone straight hair with no curls falls into the type 1 category.
- Natural wavy hair falls into type 2.
- Very curly hair with an s-shaped pattern falls into type 3
- Tightly curled, kinky hair falls into type 4.
Each type is then divided into three subtypes -A, B, and C.
Curl patterns range from type 1 bone straight hair to type 4c extremely tight curls. 4c hair is Afro-structured hair.
It is a hair texture commonly known among Africans and African-Americans.
4A type is a medium curly hair texture that doesn’t break easily. This is because the hair pattern of this type is loose. This means the hair is independently curling away from neighbouring curls.
You are not going to see a lot of interlocking between the curls.